[Qgis-psc] [Fwd: Quantum GIS]

Tim Sutton tim at linfiniti.com
Wed Oct 12 22:51:02 PDT 2011

Hi

On Wed, Oct 12, 2011 at 1:32 PM, Paolo Cavallini <cavallini at faunalia.it> wrote:
> Just received this rather complex sponsorship offer.
> Obviously GFOSS.it, as a non profit association, cannot deal with this,
> so the only way I see is to have one of the commercial support firms to
> deal with this. Alternatively, the money could go directly to one of the
> developers for some specific task.
> Anyway, good news: people are starting believing and investing in QGIS,
> so the future looks bright.
> Any thoughts?

Wow thats fantastic. As I see it it should be fairly simple to resolve:

- One of us that has a business takes it on a a 'contract' billing the
client for 5000EUR
- All expenses of holding the hackfest are logged against that
contract up to the point of 5000EUR
- Any expenses in dealing with the money (admin gees, transfer fees,
vat, taxes etc) can be claimed off that total by the enabling business

In theory we could do it here, but I think it makes more sense for a
european business to manage so that you don't need to deal with a
foreign transfer for each reimbursement request.

Alternatively (and this is probably my preferred route since it seems
we already have the funding in place for the upcoming hf), we could
ask if we can use the money in a different way, and use it to pay for
someone to build a comprehensive test suite for QGIS which I think
would be a very worthwhile investment. We could even go through some
kind of tender process to select the person who will do it.

A final scenario is a hybrid of the two where one of our companies
invoices the donors for the amount and then subcontracts the
successful test builder to do the work. My work sheet is looking a bit
empty for December so I would be quite interested in tendering for the
work myself.

 * QGIS programming services
 * FOSS Consulting Services
Skype: timlinux Irc: timlinux on #qgis at freenode.net