[Qgis-psc] Fwd: Re: Sponsoring Quantum GIS

Martin Dobias wonder.sk at gmail.com
Mon Oct 17 13:38:23 PDT 2011

On Mon, Oct 17, 2011 at 5:17 PM, Gary Sherman <gsherman at geoapt.com> wrote:

> On Oct 17, 2011, at 12:04 PM, Paolo Cavallini wrote:
>
>> OK, I think we have been trapped.
>> foliovision.com is a web advertising company. the guy has found a cheap way of advertising.
>> I think we must take a clear resolution now.
>> thoughts?
>
> This is why I originally asked their motivation and use of QGIS. I think it cheapens QGIS when we are willing to link farm for anyone with a few dollars. I suggest we accept donations from people/organizations that are legitimate users or supporters of FOSS, including GIS. Using our web infrastructure to increase search engine rankings leaves a foul taste in my mouth...
>
> I suggest returning the money and establishing published guidelines for donations.

Maybe it would be sufficient not to publish links to the donors? That
should make QGIS less attractive for those looking for backlinks.

Checking whether someone is a legitimate user of QGIS or not seems
ridiculous to me ... mailing "XY Real Estate" company with a question:
"do you use QGIS for managing of real estates or do you only want a
cheap advertisement?"

Equally a legitimate GIS company might donate just to make itself more visible!

Regards
Martin