[Qgis-psc] Motion: git write access for Etienne Tourigny

Etienne Tourigny etourigny.dev at gmail.com
Wed Jul 11 04:45:15 PDT 2012

On Wed, Jul 11, 2012 at 6:15 AM, Tim Sutton <tim at linfiniti.com> wrote:
> Hi
>
> On Wed, Jul 11, 2012 at 4:07 AM, Etienne Tourigny
> <etourigny.dev at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Thanks all
>>
>> I will start by committing a slightly modified version of my histogram
>> improvements (in a pull request).
>>
>> Speaking of tests - any idea how the histogram could be tested, and if
>> it's worth it?
>
> Ideal would be to move histogram logic down into the gui lib as we
> don't yet have a test system in place for app. I could envisage a nice
> call like:
>
> QSize mySize(800,400);
> QImage myImage = myRasterLayer ->histogramImage(mySize);
>
> I don't know if that will make sense though given that you are adding
> interactivity to the widget....
>

>> It think the proper approach would be to generate a reference image
>> and test that it matches, like in the render tests. But not sure this
>> can work with qwt plots though.
>>

> Yes there are a few approaches:
>
> - use the render checker approach if you expect there render to be
> non-deterministic
> - simply compute a md5 sum if you expect it to be derterministic

I'd expect the images to be correct bit-wise so I would expect
deterministic - but I'm not sure what you mean by deterministic.

>> Generally - how does one make tests that deal with widgets without
>> actually displaying them (like the test environment requires)?
>
> The test environment can actually deal with gui things - on the test
> server the tests run under a 'fake' X environment. So you could e.g.
>
> - add a new top level test dir for 'app'
> - create an instance of the raster props dialog
> - open it, set its tab to histogram
> - grab the histogram as an image (I already did code to do that I think)
> - use the render checker to validate the image
> - close everything down again
>
> Adding app testing is certainly on the roadmap so feel free to forge
> ahead in that direction if you have the time & inclination.

While it would be a great thing, I'm sorry to say that I probably
won't have the time to forge ahead, but I can certainly contribute and
more easily replicate existing methodologies...

cheers