[Qgis-psc] Bitcoins

Sandro Santilli strk at keybit.net
Tue May 7 01:31:16 PDT 2013

On Tue, May 07, 2013 at 09:50:08AM +0200, Vincent Picavet wrote:

> The main problem is the volatility of the money. If you look at the
> bitcoin/USD exchange rate, you will see that variations are huge. It is
> therefore very difficult to fix any price in BTC, as its value varies too much.

I think the volatility issue can be fixed by NOT keeping BTC as such
but rather immediately convert to fiat currency. Services like bitpay
do that for you for a 1% fee (and a minimum transfer of 100 EUR).
Other services also exist. I've no direct experience of withdrawal though.

The most work will likely be deciding how to organize the thing:
should someone keep the coins offline or should they be stored online ?
Should they be kept as BTC or immediately converted ?
It would be interesting to know which of the qgis team expenses
could be done via BTC directly, as converting to EURO and then
transferring to final recipient would not exploit the cost advantage.
Example services that could be of interest for qgis:
https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Trade#Hotels
https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Trade#Travel_Companies
https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Trade#Web_Hosting
(more on that wiki page)