[Qgis-psc] Proposal to support multi-threaded development

Tim Sutton tim at linfiniti.com
Mon Nov 25 06:35:01 PST 2013

Hi Andreas

On Sun, Nov 24, 2013 at 6:30 PM, Andreas Neumann <a.neumann at carto.net>wrote:

> Hi PSC,
>
> In October Peter and Saber proposed a project to work on the
> multi-threaded rendering. The new Vector API (which was also co-funded
> by the QGIS user group in Switzerland) was the preparation for this
> follow-up work. The development work on the multi-threaded rendering
> would be carried out by Martin Dobias.
>
> Lutra Consulting, the current employer of Martin, is looking to raise
> Euro 20k for this project. The QGIS user group pays CHF 3000.- this year
> and will most likely pay a similar amount again next year.
>
> I am asking the PSC that the international QGIS project is also
> co-funding this project, perhaps with approx. Euro 5k.
>
> Marco Hugentobler worked on multi-threaded rendering in QGIS enterprise
> (based on the 1.9x branch). Horst demoed this version at the recent QGIS
> CH coordination meeting. It looks very promising as it does not block
> the UI. Users can navigate to a different extent while QGIS is still
> rendering. QGIS would then cancel the old render threads and start with
> the new threads. But this work is not compatible with the 2.x
> development branch. However, it shows the potential of threaded rendering.
>
> What is the opinion of the PSC? Can the international group co-fund this
> initiative?

We *may* be able to get some funding to support this - how much money do
you still need (assuming QGIS.org supports it to with the 5k you requested)?

+1 for QGIS.org to contribute towards this if we have the funds - it will
be a valuable step forward for QGIS.

We should also factor in some support time for inevitable issues that may
arise down the line.

> Andreas
>
> PS: see also discussion started here -
> http://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/qgis-developer/2013-October/029066.html

Tim Sutton - QGIS Project Steering Committee Member
 * QGIS programming services
 * GeoDjango web development
 * FOSS Consulting Services
Skype: timlinux Irc: timlinux on #qgis at freenode.net