[Qgis-psc] Proposal to support multi-threaded development

Andreas Neumann a.neumann at carto.net
Mon Nov 25 12:29:30 PST 2013

Hi all,

I can understand Paolos doubts about the procedure. Perhaps it is the
one of the upcoming tasks of the PSC to regulate the procedure - as
you may be confronted with similar requests in the future.

As to the question how much you have on the bank account: I can't give
you the exact numbers, but the rough numbers, as qgis-ch and qgis
international share the same bank account and only Horst has full
access to the accounting. But you should have somewhere between 20 and
25k Euros in the account. Every month a couple hundred trickle in
through Paypal and other donations, besides other bigger sponsoring.

The reason I suggested it is that we should not wait too long to get
the threaded renderer and a multi-threading architecture in place.
This is what users expect from a modern platform and the longer we
wait the more complicated it will be for the developers - as there
will be more providers and more functionality that can be broken.
Obviously, besides the financial support for Martin, we would support
from the community with regards to testing/QA and working on the
different providers.

BTW: I also think that performance and stability should be a focus of
the upcoming releases. We are clearly not yet where we want to be in
respect to both performance and stability.

I also hope that someone can have a look at Alvaro's work and see if
and how this can be applied.

Perhaps Marco can comment on the work he did on the threaded renderer
in QGIS enterprise. I guess there are reasons. Customers demand a
stable and performant release with long-term support. Something that
the main project cannot always deliver. I am pretty sure that Marco
can share some of the experience and provide advice.

Best greetings,
Andreas