[Qgis-psc] Backporting?

Tim Sutton tim at linfiniti.com
Wed Mar 5 00:53:47 PST 2014

Hi All

On Wed, Mar 5, 2014 at 9:55 AM, Paolo Cavallini <cavallini at faunalia.it>wrote:

> Hi all.
> I have seen a lot of discussion about backporting fixes for a 2.2.1
> release: did we take a decision on this? I have seen a few annoying
> issues have been promptly fixed, including
> http://hub.qgis.org/issues/9631 (we also have a fix to IT translation
> https://github.com/qgis/QGIS/pull/1224), etc.
> I think the backport may be the responsibility of committers, so our
> main burden would be in packaging, right?
> In any case, the final word is for Juergen.

In my opinion the time is ripe for us to do this. My suggestion is that we
use part of our finances to cover the paying for the packaging work (i.e.
Juergen) and solicit more funding from sponsors who want to see stable
builds getting bugfixes applied but no new features. My recollection is
that this is in part what the agreement with AAS was anyway and as more and
more people are using QGIS for 'serious work' we should support this
officially through QGIS and not reply on third party vendors to do this. It
does raise some questions - like which versions do we backport to etc. I
think to start with if we just backport fixes to the current latest release
it would be a good measure.

> All the best.
> --
> Paolo Cavallini - www.faunalia.eu