[Qgis-psc] Vote: QEP #7 - Composer to Layout rename

Nyall Dawson nyall.dawson at gmail.com
Thu Nov 13 02:47:18 PST 2014

On 13 November 2014 21:20, Jürgen E. <jef at norbit.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Wed, 12. Nov 2014 at 23:51:09 +0000, Nathan Woodrow wrote:
>> As QEP #7 [1] is a pretty basic one I have moved it to final draft and
>> voting stages.
>
> -0
>
> Some thoughts:
> - Seems like a unnecessary change to me.
> - I wouldn't like to see UI and API divert.
> - Why does this IMHO minor aspect of the "ground-up" future rebuild of printing
>   need an extra and early decision?
> - "ground-up" rebuilt sounds major, targeting 3.0 suggests API breakages
>   anyway, so why not also rename the classes (instead of QgsCompositionV2 or
>   something)?

To clarify:
At this stage I'm just seeking approval for the user visible portion
of the name change. So this QEP relates solely to the non-code issues
surrounding this change. Given that changing the name has a
potentially large impact on both existing and new user's experience
with QGIS, I thought it should be formally discussed and accepted.

If this QEP is accepted, then the rewritten api classes will all be
named QgsLayout, etc. If instead the decision is that a name change
will never be approved, then I'll have to fall back to
QgsCompositionV2, etc. It will just be easier to knock this decision
off first before I submit follow up QEPs regarding the rebuild.

Hope that helps,
Nyall