[Qgis-psc] Trademark issues

Paolo Cavallini cavallini at faunalia.it
Thu Oct 9 04:29:43 PDT 2014

Hi all.
We received already several requests, so I prepared a general response. I informally
asked the lawyer for advice, and I think we might need more formal help for writing
sublicence contracts, but in the meantime I'd appreciate if you could confirm that
the following respects our view.
All the best, and thanks.
===

Dear all,

I apologize sending a collective reply: we received more questions than anticipated,
so we are doing our best, on a volunteer basis.

As reported in the FAQ[0], you need to apply for a sublicence if you use QGIS name
and/or logo in public to identify the source of specific goods and services.

Therefore, we believe you need to apply for a sublicence in the following casess:

* QGIS logo on books and course material
* associating QGIS name and logo with other terms (as in "QGIS starship")
* QGIS logo and name on non profit websites
* QGIS logo and name on custom builds.

Please be patient: we are at the beginning of this process, so we will need some
adjustments, and probably lawyer advice in more complicated issues - bear with us.
Feel free to address me further questions.

All the best, and Happy QGISsing!

[0]
http://www.qgis.org/en/site/getinvolved/governance/trademark/index.html#frequently-asked-questions
--