[Qgis-psc] Modifications and updates to plugins.qgis.org

ElPaso elpaso at itopen.it
Thu Jun 11 03:34:36 PDT 2015

Hello,

Paolo told me that I can proceed with the modifications to the plugins
application.

Before I start I need some feedback about exactly what to do, this is
the plan:

* make the following metadata mandatory
   - about
   - (bug)tracker
   - repository
* update messages and warnings accordingly
* update the documentation in the cookbook
* inform Gary so that the plugin builder will enforce those new required
metadata (if not already done)
* deploying and tests of the modified application

In my TODO list there is also an update to Django 1.8 and some minor
"cosmetic" changes for a better bootstrap theme integration.

The biggest question is: what to do with existing plugins that lack the
new mandatory metadata? Of course their authors will not be able to
upload any new version unless the fill up the missing metadata, but IMHO
the best thing to do is to get a list of those plugins and author emails
and tell them about the new requirements. A warning message on the
plugin page will also tell them what to do to solve the problem.

I think that we also need a better explanation about what information
should go into "description" and what should go into "about" metadata.

--
Alessandro Pasotti
w3: www.itopen.it