[Qgis-psc] Attachment file types on issues

Matthias Kuhn matthias at opengis.ch
Tue Nov 10 10:54:54 PST 2015

Hi

On 11/10/2015 07:36 PM, Tim Sutton wrote:
> Hi (hoping this discussion does not take the same downwards spiral as
> the chat platform one did)
>
>> On 10 Nov 2015, at 15:42, Giovanni Manghi <giovanni.manghi at gmail.com
>> <mailto:giovanni.manghi at gmail.com>> wrote:
>>
>> * someone raised the issue about not being possible to customize
>> tickets (to add a paypal button) but I think that on Sunday someone
>> made some tests and concluded that this would not be an issue.
Yeah, Marco Bernasocchi implemented a service, it seemed to be quiet
easy since he was very quick.

> Thanks for the nice summary Giovanni. From my point of view, living in
> a bandwidth impoverished society (well compared to EU standards
> anyway) and dealing often with people that have much worse bandwidth,
> our issue tracker is bordering on unusable. There are too many full
> page reloads and the workflows are not suitable for novice users IMHO.
> I don’t know how many people I have said to ‘Its FOSS, if you have a
> problem, file a ticket’ and then the conversation dies when we
> actually show them what is involved. The GH tracker is really nice
> because it is fast and ajaxy. It is also much faster to *use* when you
> you just want to dive in and make a quick comment or compose an issue.
> We use GH issue tracker and it is really nice in the way it cross
> references issues, makes it trivial to insert screenshots into issues
> and allows you to easily mark up your text with markdown. So I won’t
> be sad to see the back of redmine… big +1 from me on migrating. I
> played around with some migration tools and it seems like it will be
> possible to migrate the RM tickets fairly comfortably (sans
> attachments). I suggest making a small test repo and doing the issue
> import against that and see how it goes.

Big +1 for the same reason.
I'd be glad to see somebody show the proof of concept, that would remove
one unknown from the equation.

> For attachments what about if we run a small file drop service (could
> be a little django app with a file size limit of 5mb or whatever) and
> for larger datasets use the same mechanisms as redline used? It should
> be fairly trivial to create something like that of find a FOSS one we
> can spin up in a docker container in the server…

That would be my second option as well if github itself doesn't offer
the service. We could probably easily integrate it with the github
authentication system?

Regards,
Matthias