[Qgis-psc] Gitter chat embed

Sandro Santilli strk at keybit.net
Thu Oct 29 02:10:14 PDT 2015

On Wed, Oct 28, 2015 at 11:44:12PM +0200, Tim Sutton wrote:

> IRC web clients like the free node one really suck - you get disconnected all the time and they look like they were made in the 1990’s. As an end user I don’t think they provide a good experience. And I also don’t think that it really alleviates the ‘yet another proprietary service’ issue…. all web services are essentially proprietary unless you are running them yourselves (which swaps out one issue for another  - we will have to curate and maintain it).

Freenode is not run by yourself while still being free software operated.
Desktop IRC clients that behave better than a web interface do exist,
and many also integrate in your browser so that an url like:
irc://irc.freenode.net/qgis is handled correctly.

If something public sucks, directing people to something private won't
ever help making the public thing better.

--strk;