[Qgis-psc] [Qgis-user] Setting up a local user group: How to do it?

Richard Duivenvoorde rdmailings at duif.net
Sat Sep 12 08:55:12 PDT 2015

On 12-09-15 01:29, Bernd Vogelgesang wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm an enthusiastic user of QGIS, but sometimes I feel quite lonely with
> this passion over here.
> In my (small) company, we now have some people using it, but they just use
> it and that's it.
> So I get no feedback or new ideas from them. Boring.
>
> I'm living in the metropolitan area of Nuremberg in Bavaria, so approx.
> 2.5 million people live around here, which should be quite a good basis to
> find some people interested in founding a local/regional QGIS user group.
>
> So far, I could not identify anyone from my region on this mailing list
> nor anywhere else.
>
> What would be the best strategy to find and attract people from my region
> to start such a group (besides standing naked at the Nuremberg train
> station at 5 pm, holding a banner with "I would like to start a local QGIS
> user group") ?
>
> Any ideas?

Hi Bernd,

we are currently busy (as QGIS) to create a QGIS verein/foundation in
which user-groups get a place too.

when this all is has taken place I hope we can write something down on
how to create a proper user-group.

anyway: did you already try to use the mailings lists (either the
qgis-user, qgis-community, OR the german osgeo lists) with a subject
like "search for fellow QGIS-users to start a user-group' :-)

another option would maybe be that you blog about your use of QGIS in
Bavaria (I'm happy to let you write something on qgis.nl) AND ask for
fellow users in that blogpost. Such blogposts show up on the frontpage
of qgis.org, on planet.qgis.org (and if you are running master, in your
qgis startup screen :-) )

last option I could come up with is ask one of the english user-group
starters for ideas and/or help...

Regards,

Richard Duivenvoorde