[Qgis-psc] Moving the issue queue to github

Tim Sutton tim at qgis.org
Mon Apr 11 06:08:14 PDT 2016

Hi

> On 11 Apr 2016, at 12:21, DelazJ <delazj at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> You may be right, Giovanni, but now, it won't only concern wrongly or not done reports: _ALL the reports_ will have to be tagged by you…

Actually in GitHub you can make teams, including people who may not have commit rights but who can set tags and be referenced from tickets. So we can easily make a IssueManagers team that can manage tags etc.

> I must confess that I don't always know which category to set when reporting an issue and I prefer to not fill it rather than setting a wrong one. I think an explicite title helps developers to decide if the report may concern them or not.
> imho, priority is not a really clear item, given that it looks like a mix of level of urgency (to be solved) and impacts of the bug. There have been discussions about rewording this list, if I'm not wrong (I recall a mail of Paolo asking to follow Debian's classification). This is even hard to understand, with the "target release" field, choosing among lower, higher and nice to have priorities.
> There are things to improve in Redmine. Sure!
>
> That said, my above point was more about setting the QGIS version, which is currently a mandatory information. And note that I'm not against change (github, as said before, may add coherence/consistency to a newcomer. I was really puzzled the first time I wanted to contribute to issues and code), just wanted to raise these points I haven't read yet.

One other thing that may have been overlooked is that GitHub supports issue templates. Its a simple markdown file which if found in your repo, will profile the issue with some content. You can see a simple example that we use in InaSAFE here: https://github.com/inasafe/inasafe/tree/develop/.github It doesn’t provide structured fields like Redline but it at least goes some of the way.