[Qgis-psc] [SAC] Osgeo Code signing certificates

Larry Shaffer larrys at dakotacarto.com
Wed Apr 20 03:39:03 PDT 2016

Hi,

If the OSGeo is considering taking the following stances...

* referring to the industry standard practice of code-signing, which
protects the user from anyone tampering with software they are installing
or have installed, as something that needs a workaround;

* that the default security practices and implementations on major OSes is
somehow evil to their users, and that the users need protected from such
losses of freedom;

* that the OSGeo needs to train users on how to circumvent these default
security protections;

then an anti-reality warp is in effect, which will only hurt users who
actually just want to use the open-source software.

If that is indeed the case, I will personally pay this 'tax' on behalf of
Mac QGIS users' peace of mind (note, I already do). Or, maybe its just not
worth the cost and effort of trying to effect real change against
proprietary geospatial software here in the US until all desktop users
switch to Linux.

Larry Shaffer
Dakota Cartography
Black Hills, South Dakota