[Qgis-psc] Moving to 3.0

Matthias Kuhn matthias at opengis.ch
Fri Feb 5 03:11:37 PST 2016

Hi Jürgen

On 02/05/2016 11:40 AM, Jürgen E. Fischer wrote:
> Hi Nyall,
>
> On Fri, 05. Feb 2016 at 15:51:04 +1100, Nyall Dawson wrote:
>> * a firm plan decided and locked in BEFORE we release 2.14, so we can
>>   communicate the future release plans as part of our 2.14 marketing.
> On what base should a firm plan be done?   The PSC doesn't do the work - so a
> timeline requires knowledge about what needs to be done and how long that takes
> and who's going to work on that.
>
> The work could already have been started.  Ok, it already started - but it's
> not continuing for some reason and it's not clear to me why.
>
> I guess it's about funding behind the scenes - but apparently that's not being
> discussed openly.

>From our side, at OPENGIS.ch we took the opportunity to start working on
this at the last hackfest. We did it just because we like hackfests,
especially when they are at nice places like gran canaria :)

The reasons not to continue after were manyfold

* other (funded) projects had priority
* the timeline was unclear
* we did not want to experiment too much in preparation for an LTR

/me drops the OPENGIS.ch hat and puts the QGIS developer hat on

I am confident that with a 4 months lead time + 8 months development
cycle we have good chances to tackle the migration and raise funds for
the development where required. In case we have an additional delay, we
are still able to postpone the release. I prefer to have a plan and I
don't mind adjusting it later if we have new information that requires
doing so.

Matthias

--
Matthias Kuhn