[Qgis-psc] Next meeting and some thoughts on our approach to project governance

Richard Duivenvoorde rdmailings at duif.net
Wed Feb 17 08:28:08 PST 2016

On 17-02-16 08:48, Neumann, Andreas wrote:
> about 3)
>
> My personal take on this is that I am not a talented coder. I dedicate
> my time and partially also personal funds to the project so the ones who
> are talented core developers can dedicate their time fully to bug fixing
> and coding and don't have to deal with stuff they are less interested
> in. So my personal goal is to get a better QGIS from release to release
> - and therefore in my personal view it is quite ok if more funds go into
> bug fixing, coding, QA, etc. because other areas in the project can more
> easily be filled by volunteers. There are potentially more people who
> can contribute to documentation, UI and graphics work, community work,
> marketing, website, project management, etc. than there are talented
> core developers who have a good overview of the whole code base.
>
> Note - that this is my own personal opinion - and maybe not the majority
> view of the board.
>
> I totally agree with Tim that funds should be spread in different areas
> of the project. But the people working in these different areas need to
> come up with a clear proposal how to spend these funds. They can
> approach the board with a project. We should encourage that more.

Honestly? Andreas, in MY view, you just do not get it, this is exactly
wat we were talking about. You are totally viewing QGIS with your
USER-goggle on. I hoped we were running an open software community, not
a company to make cheap software for users only! I'd prefer a more
stable community driven QGIS over a feature convoluted sponsored QGIS.
But maybe you are on the right side, and I'm wrong. In that case I hope
"QGIS-Corporation" will get enough people to do all those things
'easily' for free. I won't apply for the job ...

Regards,

Richard