[Qgis-psc] Fwd: No QGIS in stretch due to Qt4 WebKit removal

Jürgen E. Fischer jef at norbit.de
Mon Jan 11 09:43:56 PST 2016

Hi Andreas,

On Mon, 11. Jan 2016 at 16:14:47 +0100, Andreas Neumann wrote:
> hm - I (and probably others) use the HTML widget in the print composer quite
> a lot. It is the only way to have richer content in print composer. Not a
> good move to just compile without Webkit and there is no good replacement.

IMHO it's better to have a QGIS without webkit than no QGIS at all.  And if you
want to use an LTR you'll probably don't want to used testing/unstable anyway.
And stable isn't affected - so it's probably not a bit issue.

> It would cause me troubles. Can't we package and ship Webkit ourselves along
> with QGIS, if it really is a problem for 2.14?

Not sure if you can just add the webkit stuff to Qt (and PyQt4) packages it was
ripped out off - otherwise we would need to provide all of Qt4.

Which would probably be easier to do anyway (for stretch and sid and whichever
coming ubuntu version adopts the move).

That might buy some time to do the step to PyQt5 (and plugin migration) - but
it's a sidestep and not particularly small one.

Jürgen

Software Engineer           D-26506 Norden             http://www.norbit.de
QGIS release manager (PSC)  Germany                    IRC: jef on FreeNode