[Qgis-psc] Motion to approve the QGIS 3.0 release process

Tim Sutton tim at qgis.org
Sun Jan 24 13:14:21 PST 2016

Hi All

I’d like to wrap up the discussions about the procedure for QGIS 3.0 with a formal vote. I started a thread on loomio here:

https://www.loomio.org/d/5MCdPwoL <https://www.loomio.org/d/5MCdPwoL>

I would like to propose that I add the vote phrased simply:

“I approve the process for QGIS 3.0 as described by Matthias Kun in the discussion of this thread.”

Does anyone want to make some final tweaks before I do that? I will go ahead and put out the proposal with 1 week time to vote tomorrow.

I know you had some reservations Richard - would you like to discuss this more before we take a concrete decision? My feeling is that it is probably better to be decisive now and deal with any wrinkles as they come up, rather than take much longer to articulate what our position is. I also have good level of confidence that Matthias and Nyall and others in our core developer team will make this happen (as evidenced by the great work done already to support Qt5 etc). If I had to make one small suggestion to plan it would be to release QGIS 3.0 beta 1 (or similar naming) at the 4 month mark doing the 8 month development cycle for 3.0 so that people out there can have early access to the next-gem QGIS.

QGIS Project Steering Committee Member
tim at qgis.org