[Qgis-psc] Which version should be LT?

Matthias Kuhn matthias at opengis.ch
Fri Jan 29 05:52:42 PST 2016

How about this,

We stick to the original plan, release 2.14 as LTR. It's a bit short to
change plans, especially if it has been communicated to clients (I'm
sure René-Luc D'Hont is not the only one). Let's increase the trust into
our roadmaps.

We make another 2.16 release so we can provide customers with promised
development in a reasonable time. Plus we can start to collect
experience with py3, pyqt5 (I started to roll the drums for it. The
argument "if we don't do a hard break nobody does anything" no longer
counts, sorry ;) ).

At the moment we have two versions which we feed with patches: 2.12 and
2.8 (besides master). Then it will be 2.16 and 2.14 (besides
to-become-3.0-master). No difference really.
As a user you can play it safe and go for 2.14, you can play it fancy
and go 2.16. Or you can use the 2.16 release to start porting your
plugins, to provide feedback for the migration...

Best regards

PS:
The alternative is, we end up with a broken master in 3 weeks, no ported
core plugins, no other plugins for it, no working unit tests, no roadmap
for plugin developers which version to target and a lot of them only
working on either the 2.x or the 3.x version of their plugin and we have
unhappy customers because they have to wait a long time before they get
their features (which they ordered and have been offered due to lack of
a proper roadmap).

Please, show some love and vote for a smooth migration path :)

--
Matthias Kuhn
OPENGIS.ch - https://www.opengis.ch