[Qgis-psc] Moving the issue queue to github

Tim Sutton tim at qgis.org
Wed Mar 16 14:08:28 PDT 2016

Hi

> On 16 Mar 2016, at 22:26, Sandro Santilli <strk at keybit.net> wrote:
>
> Hi, if it can be useful I tried to answer a few questions
> (and a comment slipped in, sorry about that)
>
> On Wed, Mar 16, 2016 at 10:12:35PM +0200, Tim Sutton wrote:
>
>> 1) Will integrations like travis work with GL?
>
> GL has its own CI system, gitlab-ci. It's built-in and part
> of the open source version too.
>
> See for example: https://gitlab.com/postgis/postgis/builds
>
> I've understood you could plug your own builders in addition or
> in place of the shared ones.

Ah thats interesting - thanks for sharing!

>> 3) There are most likely many 3rd party services, tools etc. that now rely on the QGIS repo being at http://github.com/qgis/QGIS - we will break them if we move over to GL
>
> For PostGIS we use both github and gitlab as mirrors, it's
> pretty easy to do, in general.

Does something sync them automatically, or is a manual process (or semi manual e.g. we need to run a cron job to sync them)? Do you sync in both directions or just one?

>> 4) The change from CVS to SVN and then from SVN to GIT each introduced a lot of churn. Although moving to a FOSS platform would be nice, its not a clear win for me as we will end up spending a long time dealing with all the side effects of migrating.
>
> Migrating a GIT repository is really simple:
>
>  git remote set-url origin git at gitlab.com:qgis/qgis.git

Yeah I know, changing many scripts that use the old repo isn’t so trivial, nor are updating the various documents that explain how to build docs, checkout stuff etc. I guess they won’t break if we keep a GH mirror, but if we are keeping using GitHub and using GitLab, I don’t really see the point of the exercise….it just adds complexity and confusion and we still will be using GitHub non free platform.

> Nothing, compared to what it takes to move tickets.
> Planning in advance might make the next move last longer.

Leaving things as they are will make the last move last longer :-)

Thanks for your inputs Sandro!