[Qgis-psc] Vote eligibility for QGIS Community Voters

Tim Sutton tim at qgis.org
Thu May 5 11:49:08 PDT 2016

Hi

> On 05 May 2016, at 18:00, Jürgen E. Fischer <jef at norbit.de> wrote:
>
> Hi Paolo,
>
> On Thu, 05. May 2016 at 17:37:57 +0200, Paolo Cavallini wrote:
>> IMHO the list in http://hub.qgis.org/projects/quantum-gis/settings >
>> Members is rather meaningless.
>> My proposal was that the governance of the project should be inclusive,
>> leaving the majority of the power in the hands of people who actually
>> write QGIS.
>
> BTW then that might also apply to people signed up in transifex.  Not sure if
> everyone there actually translated anything (eg. although unrelated to qgis
> IIRC I never contributed anything to postgis although I joined that transifex
> group).

Yeah the dilemma is that for core committers, we have a fairly straightforward way of identifying them and verifying them, but we have no similar process in place for contributors in other areas. I generally tend towards being inclusive rather than exclusive. There is always the possibility that ACMEcorp will get all of their staff to register on transifex, dominate the nomination process, elect a board of their own choosing and then turn QGIS.org into their own thing but personally I don’t see this as a great risk - at the very worst the community currently involved with QGSI would take their toys and go and start a new playpen. For now maybe it is simplest to stick with the criteria we have defined.

Probably more concerning is that https://docs.google.com/a/qgis.org/forms/d/1-6gzxq0-RtJh56QGlqI6dVEhgM5i7am5NRHsmDtiKV8/edit?usp=drive_web#responses (probably only accessible to PSC members) only shows one nomination so far, so either our process is too unclear, our criteria are not broad enough or there is a generally apathy towards the process that we are trying to set into place…