[Qgis-psc] Fwd: Re: QGIS 2.16 bug fixing work

Giovanni Manghi giovanni.manghi at gmail.com
Thu May 19 11:32:05 PDT 2016

Hi all,

> Hi Andreas,
> I also noticed a reduction in bug triaging activity.

in my case is not a reduction, but rather a different way to do it:
instead of doing it daily as before
now I allocate a certain slot of time near freeze and/or during the
testing period. I'm sure
it is not really necessary to explain you why.

> Maybe you have some comments or suggestions? Should we allocate more of our funds to maintaining the bug queue? Should we have a second person next to Giovanni or ask Giovanni if he could allocate more time to it?

managing, testing and keeping clean the bug queue has become harder
and harder along the time, and the reason I think is a good one: we
have every day more and more users. This means more tickets but also
more tickets that need to be "interpreted" (due to bad descriptions),
tested (and often they lack of data do it, at least in the initial
submission) and confirmed or dismissed.

In case the initial submission is not clear enough I have always added
the steps to replicate, eventually rewriting the description as "new
description" and adding the necessary data.

About "blockers": it is just a word, that we choose it means
"regression". I already told several times that if we want to change
the wording is ok, but we definitely need something to tag an issue
that wasn't such in a previous QGIS release. All regression should be
squashed in the next release? I agree that maybe not, but there were
also cases of not fixed regressions that were not really "corner". One
for all: the offline editing tool has been broken for 5/6 releases (or
more) before being recently fixed.

cheers!

-- G --