[Qgis-psc] Announcing courses

Vincent Picavet (ml) vincent.ml at oslandia.com
Tue May 31 02:33:21 PDT 2016

Hi,

On 31/05/2016 07:45, Neumann, Andreas wrote:
> Hi Vincent,
>
> Wow - 20 to 50 companies offering QGIS courses in France. How comes -
> these companies do not contribute more to QGIS?

They usually offer QGIS training courses as well as other software,
mostly proprietary. Almost all companies initially providing MapInfo
training now offer some kind of QGIS training.

I totally agree that they should contribute in some way to QGIS, at the
very least file bugs and feedback from their trainings. Language barrier
is probably an explanation, but definitely not a reason.

Thinking about a way to raise awareness on contribution from their part
may be something important, but I do not have a lot of ideas on how this
would be done at best.
Among some ideas :
* Having a dedicated page for these with a link on the download page
* Inserting a specific text on this in the "QGIS tips & tricks" window

> I was initially thinking that we should allow course announcements to
> the users list, but I now, if I hear how many companies are offering
> these courses, I agree that it would be too much. Maybe the mailing
> lists of the local user groups are the better vehicle in this case. In
> the Swiss QGIS user group we have a calendar of events and announce
> courses on the Swiss QGIS users mailing list.

Local chapter can be a good option indeed.
Vincent