[Qgis-psc] More info on trade registry

Tim Sutton tim at qgis.org
Mon Sep 5 10:54:09 PDT 2016

Hi Andreas

> On 01 Sep 2016, at 8:53 AM, Neumann, Andreas <a.neumann at carto.net> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> I had a phone call with the lady who deals with our trade registry request. I asked her, how much time we would have. She told me that ideally we could resolve all issues within 3 months. If we need longer, we should tell them. But we should definitely finish the process this year, or it will be cancelled.
>
> She really recommends us to reduce the size of the board to save money and bureaucracy. I think we could do a reduced board, maybe just with 3-4 people. This doesn't mean that these do all the decisions - just formally for the authorities.
>
> Anyway - whatever we do needs to be properly documented and signed.

Ok - it is something we can discuss at the meeting tonight. I also think reducing the board size might be a good thing and devolving more responsibility to special interest groups a good idea. The board could rather focus only on financial and organisational issues and all the technical issues would happen in working groups. I think even stuff like choosing the issue tracker are not really things we should be deciding in the board but rather have a 'tracker team' that makes these decisions in consultation with the community.

I think as the project grows, our current system increasingly will tend to make decisions that are not in line with what developers and users on the ground are after. One simple mechanism is to just hold a board election with only 4 places and make all current members available for election, let the community vote to keep who they want in the board and the rest of us join special interest groups as we are setting up with Lene and Yves. Then we use the voting community as a mechanism to decide anything that needs general consensus....