[Qgis-psc] Voting on the QGIS grant proposals

Martin Dobias wonder.sk at gmail.com
Mon Sep 19 21:07:38 PDT 2016

Hi all

On Tue, Sep 20, 2016 at 4:18 AM, Tim Sutton <tim at qgis.org> wrote:

> Hi Andreas
>
> On 19 Sep 2016, at 3:02 PM, Neumann, Andreas <a.neumann at carto.net> wrote:
>
> ----------------
>
> Finally, I would like to remark that some of the documentation / PyQGIS
> cookbook related proposals could be funded anyway (besided the QGIS grants)
> - from our budget around documentation/PyQGIS documentation. E.g. Martins
> 2k € PyQGIS cookbook proposal could be handled from the existing budget.
>

> I think in this case we should check in with Martin - I think the pydoc
> work will be mainly done by Wes and Francisco and Martin just giving
> technical guidance so maybe he was looking to do work over and above
> that....lets ask him...

Yes this was the plan we came up with - I would prepare the QEP for API
docs and then help Wes and Francisco where they need, and review their
work. This was chosen as a reasonable compromise to get new people involved
in the documentation with mentoring from an existing QGIS developer.

So far the progress have been a bit slow. First the project was sleeping on
my side, after getting the QEP done with a sample API doc for
QgsCoordinateReferenceSystem class in July, we have started with a series
of calls with Wes and Francisco to start the actual documentation work.
Both of them have experience with PyQGIS, however documenting the classes
presents another challenge - one needs to browse QGIS C++ code base to
understand when, how and why exactly particular API calls are done - and
this is necessarily a slow process. Also, the guys have their full time
jobs, so they have limited time available to put into the documentation
work. We are trying to have weekly catch up meetings to keep the ball
rolling, so hopefully there will be some pull requests coming at some
point...

My pyqgis cookbook proposal is independent from the existing API
documentation - I have chosen the cookbook update so that the API docs work
(mainly done by Wes / Francisco) may continue as a separate project.

Cheers
Martin