[Qgis-psc] Setting a minimum amount for PayPal donations

Tim Sutton tim at kartoza.com
Tue Dec 12 12:50:03 PST 2017

Hi

> On 12 Dec 2017, at 15:50, Andreas Neumann <a.neumann at carto.net> wrote:
>
> Hi PSC,
>
> We have the issue that every couple days we have to refund small payments on PayPal that were done by criminals. They use stolen credit card data and send a small payment to someone who accepts small payments and that likely wouldn't appear on the radar of the original holder of the credit card - to test if the credit card still works and is accepted. Typically they do sub-Euro transactions.
>
> I wonder if it would help to avoid such activities by setting a minimum amount for PayPal donations to 5 or 10 Euros ...
>
> Richard: do you think that would help to scare such criminals away? I think you had a talk to a PayPal rep about this topic?
>
> What do you think?
>
> From a technical point of view I would have to investigate if this is possible at all ...

I suspect that paying 5 or 10 euros would not matter either to the criminals - I had my card details stolen once and the person bought KFC in USA before trying to buy a larger item from a hardware storeā€¦I think the benefit to them is more that the charge attempt can be made without being present for a security person to catch them if it goes wrong. That said it is worth trying different things to see if we can identify ways to change their behaviour by experimentation...