[Qgis-psc] How many releases in 2018?

Tim Sutton tim at kartoza.com
Tue Dec 12 13:58:02 PST 2017

Hi

> On 11 Dec 2017, at 10:40, Andreas Neumann <a.neumann at carto.net> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> Thanks all for your feedback.
>
> If I raise the expenses somewhere or introduce new expenses, I need to decrease other expenses. Otherwise it would be an unbalanced budget, which I would like to avoid. I'd like to be more conservative - as this helps us to have a healthy financial situation.

Yup I understood that - I was just thinking that the budget did not account for money carried over from 2017 which might leave some scope for additional expenditures.

> I have now changed the proposal to spend less on bug fixing for version 3.4 and included expenses for packaging (9k - not sure if this is reasonable ?) It would mean 3k per release - (2k per release for Jürgen (for Windows and Debian Nightlies) and 1k for Larry for OSX). Does it make sense?

Yes

> @Jürgen: would these 6k for your work in 2018 be a reasonable compensation for what you do regarding OSGeo4W, etc.? There is now already 6k more spending than expected income - and I am not willing to go beyond ;-)
>
> I know we have a financial reserve of about 45k € - but I'd like to keep this reserve in order to be able to react for unforeseen things. Who knows if our non-profit status is really accepted? It could mean that suddenly we have to spend several k € on taxes - or we decide that we need new/faster/better infrastructure. Or suddenly more devs ask for financial support to attend the dev meeting.

Ok I guess it addresses my point above then.

> About raising the bronze level sponsorship: not sure if this wouldn't be a shot in the foot. We have a lot of very small companies (1-3 employees) as sponsors. 500k is probably what they can afford, but if we raise it now, we risk loosing them. Besides, companies are free to choose the amount they want to spend, anyway. We have some sponsors who pay 800 or 1500 for a bronze sponsorship. So that option already exists. I would like to keep the sponsorship prices as they are for now - and rather make sure to ship a good version 3. If the 3x releases are really good, it would be a compelling argument to attract new sponsors ... or ask some existing sponsors to raise their level or amount a bit.

Ok happy to go with your judgement on this.

> @Anita: the expenses for the QGIS 3 bug fixing will be taken into account this December. I expect invoices for around 20-30k € regarding QGIS bug fixing of QGIS master (3.0).
>
> About SWAG: yes, we could buy T-Shirts for the Madeira meeting. Who wants to organize it? Otherwise I am not such a big fan of useless advertising gadgets ...

I can organise it. I don’t think it is good to characterise swag as useless - it helps to increase our profile and helps to promote QGIS - I have had many conversations started from people seeing the stickers on my laptop and then the person ends up getting an explanation of what QGIS is. I also think that those coming to the hackfest will really appreciate the token of a shirt or hat or whatever. That said,if the general consensus is that we should not budget for swag and rather use the money on other things then so be it, though I don’t think that is the case. BTW I will also try to get some more posters made as they Q logo adds a nice touch to group photos….