[Qgis-psc] QGIS Resource Sharing Plugin in core?

Tim Sutton tim at qgis.org
Wed Feb 1 04:22:43 PST 2017

Hi

> On 01 Feb 2017, at 1:02 PM, Matthias Kuhn <matthias at opengis.ch> wrote:
>
> Hi all,
>
> I am not a member of the PSC and was mostly just a spectator in the
> thread linked below. Please let me share my thoughts nonetheless.

Just to emphasize again that anyone is welcome to post here, so thanks for sharing your thoughts.

> I think the whole "issue" is based on a series of misunderstandings and
> I would be very glad if we could flatten the waves and take this
> decision based on arguments instead of escalating it by requesting a PSC
> decision.

I'm ok with anyone asking the PSC for input if they feel the need for it. Generally I think the PSC is not the place to discuss technical details so I won't raise the pro's and cons of having the Resource Sharing Plugin in core.

> First off, as far as I could see, everybody liked the outcome of the
> GSOC and everyone is happy with the outcome. I don't think the plugin or
> the project is at risk wherever it may live, be it in core or as a
> separate plugin. The job done by Akbar and Alesandro is of great
> importance and it's going to be even more important the more resources
> are in there. Thank you very much for the amazing job!
>
> Apparently, the clearance to 1) port this to a core plugin and 2) which
> parts of it and 3) the future of core plugins per se has not been
> understood the same way by all parties. A merge which was done in an
> unfortunately quick timeframe caused different parties to react just as
> quickly.

I do think that a lot of the discussion around this merge could have been avoided if we follow more strict peer review processes: Require a pull request for each new feature and require third party peer review approval for each pull request. I would argue also that for larger features we should also expect a large enough time window that others can test out the new functionality before it gets merged.That will ensure that others in the developer community have a fair chance to review incoming code, and make their arguments for or against its inclusion.  GitHub already includes very nice code review tools so my proposal is that we just enable them and prevent similar issues occurring in the future. We do also have code maintainers (we need more!)[1] that should be given an opportunity to review changes to the parts of the code base they maintain.

I will take the question about the enabling of GitHub code reviews over to the dev list....

[1] https://www.qgis.org/en/site/getinvolved/governance/governance.html#code-maintainers