[Qgis-psc] The inevitable question: extending freeze for 3.0?

Matthias Kuhn matthias at opengis.ch
Sat Jul 8 00:49:05 PDT 2017

On 7/7/17 2:56 PM, Nyall Dawson wrote:

> Hi PSC,
>
> There's a lot of major work still outstanding which would be good to
> land in 3.0, and which is actively being worked on by developers. This
> includes my layout work, the ongoing processing changes (although
> these are nearly complete - more on that later), Lutra's 3d work, the
> recently funded remaining server improvements, and Nathan's
> configuration/profiles work (+ ideally the ongoing metadata work, if
> someone steps up to fund the remaining work packages).
>
> Given that the freeze is coming up quickly, I'd like to raise the
> discussion now about whether we could/should push this back by a
> month.
>
> My personal situation is that while I should be able to complete the
> layout work and the processing changes by the current freeze, an extra
> month would allow me time to really make these improvements shine
> (especially processing would benefit from an extra month to port all
> the existing algorithms... but that's another discussion I'll raise
> soon).
>
> Is this possible? A good idea? A bad idea? Desired by anyone else but me?

If this is required to make some things happen which otherwise would be
stuck in the pipeline for another 5 years, one month extra sounds like
the right thing to do.

Looking at all the cool stuff that you brought to life during this
development cycle I fully trust your ability to have a good overview of
the situation.

Matthias