[Qgis-psc] Release schedule

Jürgen E. Fischer jef at norbit.de
Fri Jun 30 00:59:23 PDT 2017

Hi Matthias,

On Thu, 29. Jun 2017 at 17:32:50 +0200, Matthias Kuhn ? wrote:
> > 378 days between the LTRs 2.18.8 and 3.4.

> I assume this is the difference between 1.6.2018 (initial release 3.4.0) and
> 19.5.2017 (promotion of 2.18.8 to LTR).

Yes.

> Confusing for me is, that after the 1.6.2018 there are still patches planned
> for 2.18 (2.18.20, 2.18.21, ...) but 2.18 is no longer considered LTR. Is it
> correct that we "downgrade" releases from LTR but still continue to ship
> patches?

Well, to me that's mainly because we always feed two (or three including the
master nightlies) repositories with packages - and it makes not much sense to
me to put the same packages into two repositories while the new LTR is also the
latest release.  So we keep building the previous LTR in that time.  We can
still add fixes - but don't have to (the year has already passed).

We also have had problems right away after a new release, so replacing the LTR
in the LTR repositories later is a good move.  And I suppose LTR users like
stability more than new versions.   If they don't they can still switch
repositories.

> Something else to consider would be a bit of extra time in feature freeze for
> 3.0 to have time to thoroughly check all the intrusive changes that have
> landed in this release (I think there was a discussion about this at some
> point).

> It would be nice to get a feedback from other active developers outside
> the PSC for this question (Nathan, Martin, Nyall, ...)

Sure, I'd say we can only move the feature freeze to an earlier point, if the
pending feature work can be completed in time for that.

Jürgen

Software Engineer           D-26506 Norden             http://www.norbit.de
QGIS release manager (PSC)  Germany                    IRC: jef on FreeNode