[Qgis-psc] QGIS from scratch wiki pages

Richard Duivenvoorde rdmailings at duif.net
Mon Mar 27 13:27:17 PDT 2017

Hi Mark,

As you probably already have seen on the dev list, we (/me speaking here
in my role of documentation guy/Project Steering Commitee member) are
not happy with current use of the project wiki for the 'Build from
scratch' pages.

As I told you we think documentation should be as OS/Distro/Version
independent as possible, translatable etc
Second, in history we have bad wiki-experience, and we do not want this
again.
Third, we are afraid that accepting your hard work (I know how much work
it is to find all this out on you own), would make it look for others
that this is THE way (or even preferred way) to install QGIS. While it
is not. Using our installers/package managers is the way to go.

So I ask you to please move your work to your own fork of the
QGIS-Documentation repo.
And as said, we are happy to blog (or give you space to blog) about it
on blog.qgis.org or other places.

On this page you can clone the wiki:
https://github.com/qgis/QGIS-Documentation/wiki

I already did for you, and/or if you are unfamiliar with git, this is
the content of the repo:
https://duif.net/QGIS-Documentation-Wiki.zip

You can copy/move all your Markdown (.md) files to the wiki in your own
fork.

Are you ok with this?

Let me know when you are have the pages, then within, say a week, I will
remove/close the wiki pages.

Let me know if you need any help, and sorry if this is a disappointing
community experience for you, I hope it will not discourage you from
writing docs in the future.

Regards,

Richard Duivenvoorde