[Qgis-psc] shortened list of categories on QGIS bug tracker

Richard Duivenvoorde rdmailings at duif.net
Mon May 1 09:54:29 PDT 2017

On 01-05-17 13:30, Paolo Cavallini wrote:
> Il 01/05/2017 13:19, Nyall Dawson ha scritto:
>
>> I'm a strong -1 to this. To me assigned means "I'm aware of this issue
>> and am actively working on it". Auto assigning really has no meaning
>> and loses this ability to tell if working on an issue is potentially
>> duplicating developer effort.
>
> this emerged in a meeting yesterday to ensure that a ticket is seen by
> someone who is dealing with a particular area of code. we can easily add
> to the tooltip that this has not to be meant as any sort of engagement.
> an assigned ticket can always be reassigned to none.
> what we would like to prevent is tickets being opened without nobody
> noticing it. the assignee could be a developer, or also a ticket manager
> that can check it and suggest solutions. early refusal of invalid
> tickets will greatly help keeping the queue clean.
> we also would like to have people "adopting" a category, in order to
> spread the workload of cleaning up.
> of course better suggestions are always welcome.
>
>> (I also personally hate it when people assign tickets to me without
>> first asking or without it being a direct result of a bug I've
>> introduced. I find it extremely rude when a total stranger assigns a
>> feature request to me - much akin to grabbing someone random on the
>> street and saying, "hey, do this work for me!")
>
> totally agreed - I in fact asked to remove the assignee field, but it
> turned out that someone use it to suggest people to open a ticket and
> assing to him/her.

I agree partially with Nyall. But the idea is not so much to directly
tag a developer to an issue (while the assignee-use-case Paolo describes
is actually that...). But more that someone, call this a 'bug triager'
takes the responsibility to review the category they 'own' and try to
'advertise' those bugs to potential developers. AND that those triagers
are known enough with our community to be able to contact devs etc... In
that way the triagers maybe also can try to make the issues better by
reproducing it, asking for testdata etc.
Those 'category triagers' can be private, the public does not even have
to know who (or which group of people) that is? It is a sort of private
implementations ;-)

I'm in favour of removing the assign-drop down. The use-case 'create an
issue and assign it to me can/should be handled in another way.
Maybe:
- sent an email with the link to the issue in the subject and body?
OR
- can we make this column 'private' or only to be set by a dev or triager?

We are still in flux, so please do not hesitate to make comments on
issuetracker or workflow

Regards,

Richard Duivenvoorde