[Qgis-psc] Choosing a license for my QGIS plugin

Tim Sutton tim at qgis.org
Tue May 23 07:52:04 PDT 2017

Hi

On Tue, May 23, 2017 at 4:34 PM, Maxime Dufour <maxime.dufour at artelys.com>
wrote:

> Hello everyone !
>

> I have a question regarding the choice of the open source license if I
> want to implement my tool as a QGIS plugin.
>
> I’m currently developing a tool for Heating and Cooling networks and my
> partners agreed on using the MIT license for this tool (we wanted something
> quite permissive).
>
> While reading your page (https://plugins.qgis.org/) describing how to add
> a plugin to the plugin repository, I noticed that a license file must be
> present: *GPL 2 or later mandatory*
>
> Software licensing is new to me and I must admit that the “later” is quite
> unclear, do you mean that only GPL 2/3 are accepted as license for the
> plugins ? In that case the MIT license wouldn’t be possible, would it ?

If in doubt I suggest to consult a lawyer :-( Casual googling says you
should be ok to release under MIT though:

"The MIT License is a permissive free software license originating at the
Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT).[1] As a permissive license, it
puts only very limited restriction on reuse and has, therefore, an
excellent license compatibility.[2][3] The MIT license permits reuse within
proprietary software provided that all copies of the licensed software
include a copy of the MIT License terms and the copyright notice. The MIT
license is also compatible with many copyleft licenses, such as the GNU
General Public License (GPL); MIT licensed software can be integrated into
GPL software, but not the other way around.[4]" -
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MIT_License

> Thanks in advance !
>

> Best regards,
>

> Maxime Dufour