[Qgis-psc] Funding QGIS Server enhancement - remove old QgsWXSProjectParser

Régis Haubourg regis.haubourg at gmail.com
Wed May 24 08:29:37 PDT 2017

Hi all,
we had a chat with 3liz to share a common view of current refactoring
status and next priorities:

*What the refactor is expected to adress  :*

 It is a blocking part since it is quite hard to find funds for "plumbery"
tasks and make it understandable by users.
 The refactor is obviously made mandatory by the move to QGIS3 API.
 Obviously again, it will help in having a clearer codebase, easier to
maintain , faster and more modular.
 For instance, having the ability to generate on the fly some project and
layer definition will help a lot in GeoNode integration.

*What has been done :*

 - *3liz* has created a new *modular architecture* allowing to refactor
each services independently. It exposes a clean API, and if I get it well,
*Alessandro* already used it to rework the server plugin python API.

 - *3liz* is refactoring progressively all the *services*. All WFS, all WCS
and WMS GetCapabilities are done. GetContext is being worked on.

* - Oslandia : *Paul is almost done with a full WMS rewrite now only using
core classes and no more XML parsing

 - *Oslandia : *OGC CITE compliancy docker testing framework - see [1]

 - *Oslandia* : Speed improvements for getcapabilities where datasource are
massive views or materialized views (or layers with definition filters /
joins). AKA "trust project" option.

 - *Camptocamp* created a docker platform for performance benchmark between
qgis server / mapserver and geoserver - see [3]

*What needs to be finished before 3.0, where funding will help a lot :*

 - *all*: a lot of work has been done to remove the projectParser and
singletons, but there is still some work to do.

 - *services rewrite* *(3liz)*:  getContext / DescribeLayer /
GetFeatureInfo, GetStyle, DXFWriter

 - *service rewrite (Oslandia): *GetLegendGraphics / GetPrint

*What would be (really) nice to have :*

 - *OGC CITE (Oslandia)* : Automate running and publishing html reports to
a public ressource, if possible hosted by QGIS.org. (small task)
 - *OGC CITE* : debug existing failures and apply for an official OGC
certification. No idea how much time this can take.
 -* Performance benchmark platform* : define reference tests, automate them
and track regressions or improvements over time.  This is a tricky topic,
but performances tests with reference platforms helped a lot in raising
some issues.
 - *Communication* : push a blog post from QGIS.org for an official support
of the project and advertising there all the funders and involved parties.
That would help a lot in raising new funds too..

*What is not yet planned :*

- Implement a caching strategy for scalability
- vector tiles ?

note: A detailed view is available in QEP74 [0] and all related PR are here
[4].

So, in short, if some funds are available from QGIS.org, I think we have
some candidates and priorities to discuss here. We also need to estimate
more precisely each task...

Opinions welcome !

[0] https://github.com/qgis/QGIS-Enhancement-Proposals/issues/74
[1] https://hub.docker.com/r/oslandia/qgis-server-ogc-cite/