[Qgis-psc] Performance regressions (was QGIS 2.18 bug fixing effort)

Giovanni Manghi giovanni.manghi at gmail.com
Fri May 26 07:39:24 PDT 2017

Hi Nyall,

> Great - thanks for the confirmation. I've just finished another round
> of benchtesting and here's my conclusions:
>
> 1. Attribute table performance is fixed and back to 2.14.0 speed.
>
> 2. There's been no regressions in rendering speed or layer loading
> speed from 2.14.0 -> 2.18.8. Tested with a variety of layer geometry
> types & sizes on Ubuntu 16.04, using release builds. Only shapefiles
> and the OGR provider were tested.

but rendering time in master (even without counting the qgis loading
time) is really up compared
to 2.*

I guess we should open a regression ticket for this issue, right?

The dataset I sent you it takes ~1 min to finish open from the moment
is added to map on master, while on 2.18 nightly it takes around 40
seconds.

> 3. There's strong evidence that we have a severe performance
> regression just in the mssql provider
> (https://issues.qgis.org/issues/15752). I believe that bug should be
> reopened but renamed to reflect that it affects mssql only. Note that
> I haven't confirmed this regression or run any benchtests on it yet.

done

> Giovanni - do you agree with these conclusions?

yes, but am I wrong that in master rendering time is (yet/still)
really up compared to 2.*?

cheers!