[Qgis-psc] What to put in the carousel

Larry Shaffer larrys at dakotacarto.com
Thu Nov 9 14:11:47 PST 2017

Hi Tim, PSC,

On Sun, Nov 5, 2017 at 1:52 PM, Tim Sutton <tim at kartoza.com> wrote:

> Hi
>
> For Mac the only way I know to test 2.999 is to build it yourself. Larry
> do you have any news on the bundle you were working on? Would you be able
> to get something ready for pre-release testers to work with?

I've actually just started working on updating app bundle support:
https://github.com/qgis/QGIS/pull/5531

As far as testing 2.99, we could also periodically save 'bottles' (prebuilt
binaries) for the 'qgis3-dev' formula; maybe nightly or weekly? This would
mean doing `brew install qgis3-dev` would require no compiling, just lots
of downloading of bottled dependencies. The current source-only build can
be moved to `brew install qgis3-dev --HEAD` creating a side-by-side install
with periodic bottle. This is the standard Homebrew method of handling
stable and head builds.

Once I get bundling fixed up for QGIS 3, then that periodic build can
continue on to build an .app bundle, after the bottle is uploaded. All of
that will certainly exceed Travis CI job timeout limits. Probably need to
move the macOS CI/build to a Jenkins setup on a dedicated, colocated Mac
Mini, like our setup at Boundless. We use MacStadium at ~$100/month for Mac
leasing. Another option is to buy the Mac and colocate it (cheaper in long
run). This should be seriously considered for project Mac infrastructure
once proper bundling code has been proven to work well.

Regards,

Larry Shaffer
Dakota Cartography
Black Hills, South Dakota
Boundless Desktop and QGIS Support/Development
Boundless Spatial - http://boundlessgeo.com
lshaffer at boundlessgeo.com