[Qgis-psc] Visual changelog

Andreas Neumann a.neumann at carto.net
Fri Feb 23 04:46:22 PST 2018

Hi PSC,

I am not satisfied how the QGIS release process works. Just throwing out
a bunch of source code is not how a proper software release should work.

For the user, a release is only ready if:

* Binary packages are ready for Windows, OSX and Ubuntu/Debian

* API documentation is finished

* the visual changelog is ready (currently, it is nowhere close to being
ready - will need several man-days of work)

* some concerted effort is being done to announce it on several channels
(with some document as a guideline)

* some plan for documentation is in place

Preannouncing that "QGIS 3 is ready" in such a state will only
disappoint users a lot.

Am I the only one bothered by that fact?

Note that the documentation and the changelog are both areas where
non-dev contributors can help. But apparently, there is no coordinated
effort on both.

Can we do better for future releases?

Thanks,