[Qgis-psc] Continuous Deployment for OSGeo4W

Matthias Kuhn matthias at opengis.ch
Mon Jun 11 05:17:37 PDT 2018

Dear PSC,

The largest population among our user base is using Windows, packages to
Windows users are shipped through osgeo4w and a standalone installer
which, if I am not wrong, is also built from the osgeo4w infrastructure.
Currently the osgeo4w infrastructure is under the osgeo umbrella.

Looking at the core team page of the project [1], there are 3 people
involved, 2 of them packaging and one of them taking the big share of
things. Thank you Jürgen ;-)

The infrastructure in the background is to my knowledge not documented
and we are happy if it just works. And if it breaks if there is someone
with knowledge and access rights to fix things.

I just stumbled upon a repository from Oslandia [2] that streamlines the
packaging and integrates it with continuous deployment apparently.
Having such a repository under QGIS or OSGeo umbrella could help to take
away the burden of maintaining the Windows distribution from very few
people, having a pull request review scheme as we have for source code
and distribute the responsibility.

In short, having a repository where package scripts and build scripts
are publicly available, forkable, builds are reproducible and where it's
possible to make pull requests.

The main question in the first line is probably, is that something which
is considered a QGIS task, an OSGeo task or a task that individual
companies should be taking?

Thanks a lot

Matthias

[1] https://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo4w/wiki/CoreTeam