[Qgis-psc] Volunteer and paid work

Paolo Cavallini cavallini at faunalia.it
Tue May 8 10:33:21 PDT 2018

Hi all,
I know it's a big theme, and we'll probably never find the Perfect
Definitive Solution to it, but a few inputs from various sources
triggered this mine. I think it is worth discussing about this in
general terms, before deciding on specific issues.
The point is that for the same or similar tasks we have volunteers doing
precious and silent work, sometimes for years, while other people, that
sometimes never did it for free, get paid by the project.
I understand this may put volunteers off, so we should be extra careful.
The spectrum of approach seems to be:
* budget some money for specific functions, and attribute it to whoever
ask for it, or
* ask always volunteers first, and spend only after they declared they
are not available for paid work, and happy of alternative solutions.
Also, I'd like to sit and think about how to budget our expenses. I'd
love to budget certainly as a function of usefulness, but also keeping
fairness in mind: a function that is running smoothly for free since
years, only because some volunteer is donating their time, should not be
taken for granted, We should make this tasks emerge and grant them
appropriate resources.
I'd be very grateful of an open and clean discussion on what is by all
means a delicate issue.
All the best.
--
Paolo Cavallini - www.faunalia.eu