[Qgis-psc] pyqgis docs

Denis Rouzaud denis.rouzaud at gmail.com
Sat May 19 18:24:21 PDT 2018

Hi Anita,

Thanks a lot for doingi it, nicely written!
I'll just maybe complete a bit the technical part.
I'd like also to insist on PyQGIS term, so it gets more widely used.
I write directly in your text.
Feel free to correct my corrections ;) your english sounds a bit better
than mine! Or, if you find them too technical.

Cheers,
Denis

> We are proud to announce our new dedicated documentation of the Python API
> (also called PyQGIS). It is available at https://qgis.org/pyqgis
>
> While the QGIS API has long been documented, Python developers in the past
> had to work with the general C++ documentation that wasn't always
> straightforward to use. The new PyQGIS documentation presents the API in an
> accessible pythonic manner.

Bringing a generated API for Python from source code was not a trivial
> task.

The fitst challenge was the automatic creation of the Python bindings files
> (or SIP files) which was achieved by developing a custom perl script known
> as "sipify". This allows us to automatically introduce and keep up to date
> the C++ documentation into the Python bindings.

 Next, was the creation of the documentation itself using Sphinx. Two
> detailed reports containing all the technical details of the first
> <https://cloud.opengis.ch/index.php/s/n6HBCzPWrWqa5di> and second
> <https://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/qgis-psc/2018-April/006090.html>
> generation of the documentation are available if you want to learn more
> about the underlying architecture.

This has been a really important infrastructure project for QGIS that has