[Qgis-psc] 2018 grant applications are now closed

Nyall Dawson nyall.dawson at gmail.com
Mon May 21 15:20:07 PDT 2018

On 20 May 2018 at 03:02, Anita Graser <anitagraser at gmx.at> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have now compiled the applications summary at
> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1puMt5blo1FrIyFRcQDPDAvcOFOPAkxYH17q1OliGs70/edit?usp=sharing
>
> As a quick teaser, here are the proposal titles:
>
> 1. GEarthView plugin porting to QGIS 3
> 2. Add OpenCL support for processing core algs
> 3. Welcome page improvements (QEP 102)
> 4. QGIS 3 Enhancement Georeferencer
> 5. Resurrect Processing "R" Provider as a plugin and maintain
> 6. Increased stability for Processing GUI and External Providers and
> maintenance of Processing
> 7. Update of QGIS Training Manual
> 8. Charts and drawings on attribute forms
> 9. Improve CAD editing tools (first round)
> 10. Export raster symbology in SLD 1.1 (with extensions as needed)
> 11. Get QGIS server OGC compliant and certified for WFS
> 12. Real-life prototyping of QGIS Platform migration to GitLab
> 13. OSGeo4W updates
> 14. Setting registry
>
> The next step will be to set up the voting form and email our voting members
> to review the proposals and cast their vote.

This is a great list of possible enhancements!

Since they are obviously not all going to be funded by the grant
proposal system, can I suggest that we pro-actively publicise this
list with a call out to external agencies to consider sponsoring the
fixes which do not get grant funding?

The recent success of the GDAL barn raising (https://gdalbarn.com/)
means that there's currently momentum and precedent for heavy
commercial sponsorship of open source software. It would be nice to
leverage off that to see if we can get additional funding for these
grant proposals, or alternative additional funding for 3.2 bug fixing!

Nyall