[Qgis-psc] again about the bug tracker

Matthias Kuhn matthias at opengis.ch
Tue Oct 16 00:25:58 PDT 2018

Hi all,

thanks a lot for this fruitful discussion!

I am very much in favor of moving the issue tracker forward, it's really
a pity to see us running in circles for this for half a decade already.

On 10/11/18 5:58 PM, Vincent Picavet (ml) wrote:

>> This was the grant, which was rejected, but
>> * why? because we want to stick to Redmine? because they prefer Github /
>> not wasting energy? because voters prefer flashy features?
> The latter is clearly the reason. And I do think this is the limit of
> our current grant application program. It works well to decide for new
> features, but not for ground-level, hard, not shiny but necessary work.

I tend to disagree.
Looking at the last results, we have various ground work proposals
sponsored (stability for processing, osgeo4w updates, ogc compliance,
training manual), so that does not seem to be the reason.

I assume that this particular proposal has not been selected because of
lack of conviction on the chosen path and risks. As Denis wrote in the
last emails, there are some open questions about the real impact. I am
sure that if a proposal for changing the issue tracker or even the
complete platform is backed up by the community it will be accepted by a
grant proposal (or the PSC).

I wonder how we can find out what the real reasons are, maybe we really
need to have the discussion if we want a new issue tracker or a new
platform, as Denis suggested?

Best regards
Matthias