[Qgis-psc] QGIS.ORG accounting update

Andreas Neumann a.neumann at carto.net
Sun Oct 28 05:39:23 PDT 2018

Hi Anita,

About contributions to dev meetings:

Actually there was one contribution toward dev meeting from a danish
company (LIFA), which I listed among sponsorships, because they also
appear as a sponsor. Maybe I should move them over from the sponsors to
dev meeting contributions. Will do that.

Other contributions we sometimes had: OSGeo contribution to dev meeting
(noone followed up on this, maybe we should again next year), sometimes
a user group sponsored, esp. if the dev meeting was in their country.
F.e. the german user group co-sponsored the meeting in Essen at the
Linux Hotel.

-------------------------------

Speaking about finances and tax situation:

After I received all 3.4 bug fixing invoices and QGIS grants invoices, I
will have to review how we are doing financially. We need to make sure
that our revenues (income minus expenses) stay as low as possible. Taxes
in Switzerland are on two levels: federal level (everything above 5000
CHF revenues will be taxable), provincial/communal level (everything
above 20000 CHF revenues will be taxable). In addition, our assets on
the bank accounts need to remain below CHF 100'000 to avoid taxes on
assets. So most likely we will have to pay a low amount of federal taxes
in 2017, as almost always, our revenues will be a bit of CHF 5000.- At
least in 2017 this was the case - we can still try to avoid this same
situation in 2018.

About VAT taxes: if we surpass CHF 150'000 per year in sponsorships,
we'll have to add 7.7 % VAT tax. I expect that we hit this amount in
2019 or 2020. But that is ok. We just add this tax on top of the
sponsorship money.

However, we will receive the definitive invoices for the taxes, delayed.
There will be "pro-forma" invoices based on the tax declaration from the
last year. Since this is our first declaration in 2018 for the year of
2017, we will receive the definitive invoice of year 2017 in 2019. I
know it is a bit complicated ...

Tax-wise it would be much better to have a small negative, or very small
positive revenue each year ... and to not accumulate assets on the bank
account. But I guess this in our interest anyway.

Greetings,

Andreas