[Qgis-psc] A question on the etymology of QGIS

gavin.schrock@xyht.com gavin.schrock at xyHt.com
Mon Sep 3 14:02:05 PDT 2018

Hi Paolo and team,

 I have a quick question regarding the 4 articles appearing in the
September issue of xyHt Magazine.  There are four articles containing
insights from you, Nick B, Anita, Tim S, etc.  I'm the editor of xyHt and a
question has come up about the Q in QGIS.  The running of these articles
came directly f=as result of inquiries from our readers asking to learn
more about QGIS. One of the questions, while perhaps trivial was  "what is
the meaning of the Q in QGIS".

 I fully understand that in the present  that no one would ever refer to
QGIS with the 'quantum' prefix, but it was part of the history and all we
wanted to do was resolve the mystery of the 'Q" by stating: at one time
referred to as Quantum GIS, but now simply as QGIS

 One of the article contributors would like us to remove any mention of
'quantum', but is that the desire of the entire team?  We are a news
publication, and the history is part of the news. Does the board have any
problem with us mentioning this item from the history of QGIS as stated
above?

 Kindest regards,

   Gavin Schrock, PLS

  Editor, xyHt Magazine