[Qgis-psc] Notes about certification

Tim Sutton tim at kartoza.com
Tue Sep 11 01:20:03 PDT 2018

Hi

> On 11 Sep 2018, at 08:22, Paolo Cavallini <cavallini at faunalia.it> wrote:
>
> Il 09/11/2018 08:20 AM, Nyall Dawson ha scritto:
>> On Tue, 11 Sep 2018 at 16:18, Richard Duivenvoorde <rdmailings at duif.net> wrote:
>>> Nice, overall ok, but 'releasing training material, isn't that a bit
>>> pretty ambitious?
>>>
>>> Though I like the idea, providing all training material, isn't that
>>> asking to provide the king-jewels? I'm not doing that much courses, but
>>> IF I do creating material is THE work...
>> +100
>>

> I understand your point very well. I'll leave Tim reply on this, as this
> was a requirement before the meeting, and is his idea.
> All the best.

Well speaking as someone who has put ALL our training materials online with a free license [1][2][3], I don’t see what the downside is. And the process is much like sharing the source code of QGIS - that is our Crown Jewel and we share it with everyone, why should we treat training materials any differently? IMHO we should have a similar attitude in sharing the knowledge that is needed to use QGIS otherwise what is the point of making something that people can’t understand how to use? In my experience people go on training courses a) to have a blocked off, dedicated chunk of time to delve into a topic and b) to have access to a guide who understands the topic well and can lead them quickly from zero to hero.

Richard: I share your dream that we can get certifying organisations to build and maintain a share curriculum that we can one day call ‘official’ curriculum for QGIS certification - the lessons platform we built already takes the first steps towards that [3]. Its just a first attempt but hopefully takes us in the right direction….

[1] http://docs.qgis.org/2.18/en/docs/training_manual/ <http://docs.qgis.org/2.18/en/docs/training_manual/>
[2] http://docs.qgis.org/2.18/en/docs/gentle_gis_introduction <http://docs.qgis.org/2.18/en/docs/gentle_gis_introduction>
[3] http://changelog.qgis.org/en/qgis/section/list/ <http://changelog.qgis.org/en/qgis/section/list/>