[Qgis-psc] Notes about certification

Paolo Cavallini cavallini at faunalia.it
Tue Sep 11 07:32:15 PDT 2018

Hi Anita, all.

Il 09/11/2018 03:55 PM, Anita Graser ha scritto:
> Thanks for summarizing the criteria!
>
> One question concerning the requirement that new applicants need to
> share their course materials: Is there any mechanism to ensure that
> the material is updated? Or is this a one-time requirement? Who would
> monitor it if it should be more than a one-time thing?
I believe this should be based on trust and on multi eyes: the first
time we have the evidence that this requirement

> I understand the arguments on both sides of this issue. For non-dev
> community members, training is one of the few remaining business
> models. Localization / translation of materials is a lot of work and
> it's only financially viable if one finds enough people to take the
> course. Community members that also provide development services may
> consider public training material as a form of marketing.

I also understand very well both sides: training has always been a large
part of our professional activity, and having nice tricks and good
examples often made people love our courses. Sharing this could
advantage our competitors.
On the other hand, it is quite clear that the same arguments apply to
code as well as training material.
Perhaps we could require that in all derived material the BY clause
would be implemented strictly: if someone uses my material, ut is
obliged to show also my name, company, and URL, this could be good after
all.

All the best.

--
Paolo Cavallini - www.faunalia.eu