[Qgis-psc] QGIS for Mac OS packaging and infrastructure

Régis Haubourg regis.haubourg at oslandia.com
Thu Feb 21 00:21:46 PST 2019

Hi all,

Le 20/02/2019 à 21:54, Saber Razmjooei a écrit :
> For us (Lutra) as a company, there is no money to be made for
> packaging and selling binaries (unless we call it iQGIS :)). In fact,
> it was a charity work and didn't cover our costs. It took up most of
> Peter Petirk's time with a boring task of packaging instead of
> exciting new features in QGIS :)

I just want to extract that very particular point of the discussion and
raise it above MacOS specific concerns.

At Oslandia, we are also commited in packaging, with still the aim to be
able to support and offer resilience to the massive and long term
efforts made by Jürgen on OSGEO4W packaging (Kudos jef).

I confirm that up to now, no customer has ever paid for packaging work,
whatever the platform. So if we want to avoid this kind of long debate
to raise again too often, I think QGIS.org budget should include a
budget every year for packaging.

Because we all rely too much on benevolent packagers.

The political decision should then be "what distributions do we support
vs what distributions do we leave to volunteer work".

If this decision is made clear, I think it could be a mind changing
argument for some customers to become sponsors.

Best regards

Régis

--
Open Source GIS Expert / Water management

mail: regis.haubourg at oslandia.com
tél: 0033 184 257 870
http://oslandia.com/

OSLANDIA IS AN INNOVATIVE COMPANY SPECIALIZED IN GIS ARCHITECTURE. WE
PROVIDE SERVICE ON OPEN SOURCE SOFTWARE FOR WHICH WE ARE EDITORS OR
RECOGNIZED EXPERTS.