[Qgis-psc] Requesting support for WFS compliance from OSGeo

Nyall Dawson nyall.dawson at gmail.com
Tue Jan 15 12:58:20 PST 2019

On Wed, 16 Jan 2019 at 06:06, Andreas Neumann <a.neumann at carto.net> wrote:

> Hi Anita,
>
> Thanks for investigating. I have three ideas how to spend OSGeo funds:
>
> 1. How about a funding for the MacOS builds? Filling the gap from the crowd funding initiative? See https://www.lutraconsulting.co.uk/crowdfunding/macos-qgis/ - the campaign runs until end of January - but if the target is not met, it would be nice if OSGeo could cover the rest.
>
> 2. Another idea is investing into potential performance improvements in QGIS server. Profiling where most of the time is spent and where there is potential for improvement.
>
> 3. Helping to fund a potential github to gitlab migration (if this is feasible and wanted by the core devs) or Redmine to Github/Gitlab issues (if it is wanted by the core devs).

Another potential idea that Alessandro and I have been discussing
would be a project to "make PyQGIS more friendly". This would aim to
replace as many of the places in PyQGIS where an invalid call results
in a crash, and instead replacing them with friendly Python
exceptions. We'd also like to make the PyQGIS API more "pythonic", by
implementing expected Python conventions (like calling
some_container[-1] to get the final item in the container object, add
more iterators for QGIS classes, find places where subclassing results
in a lot of "boilerplate" code which could instead be replaced by
decorator syntaxes, ... ). We'd also like to investigate (and
implement) ways to bridge PyQGIS API to other widely-used Python data
science libraries, making it easier to e.g. use numpy alongside PyQGIS
(or scikit, or rasterio, .... etc).

Does this sound like a good candidate?

Nyall