[Qgis-psc] [QGIS-Developer] QGIS 2.18 EOL approaching?

Nyall Dawson nyall.dawson at gmail.com
Mon Jan 21 14:57:16 PST 2019

On Mon, 21 Jan 2019 at 20:25, Paolo Cavallini <cavallini at faunalia.it> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> On 21/01/19 10:51, Nyall Dawson wrote:
>
> > I totally understand that -- I just don't want there to be any
> > misunderstandings or miscommunication, and want organisations and
> > users to be aware that from that QGIS project's perspective, 2.18 is
> > now effectively dead.
>
> please note that we have probably thousands of qgis-server installations
> in production worldwide, and it is quite unlikely that they will be all
> upgraded in a short time.
> All the best.

Right -- again, I TOTALLY understand that not everyone can upgrade
immediately. But we just need to be crystal clear on our messages
here, with NO chance for ambiguity. Those users and installations will
no longer receive bug fixes, and are now "out on their own". After
Feb, 2.18 may start to break when Windows updates change things,
distros move on and remove Qt4, etc. That's the harsh reality, and any
attempts to water this message down is ultimately doing those users a
disservice.

They need to at least start planning a future migration now, before
this happens.

Nyall